People are now becoming more concerned about their health. Because of this, various products which cater to their needs are emerging in the market — many of which are claiming to be organic and natural.
While there are a lot of advantages since plenty of health benefits can be derived from these products, health experts also warn of the possible side effects.
One of these booming products these days is spirulina. It is made from blue green algae and offers a wide variety of health benefits. Those who have tried this product cannot ignore that fact. It contains a wide range of vitamins, amino acids, and minerals. Spirulina also has a high nutritive value with hundreds of helpful nutrients. These benefits from spirulina make it a very popular ingredient in a lot of health supplements nowadays.
But just like all its other counterparts, a lot of people are also concerned about its possible side effects.
This is why it is very important for consumers like you to be cautious of the things that you take. You need to be informed about the product, its ingredients, possible interactions and allergies, and most of all, the side effects of taking the product. This way, you’ll know what you’re supposed to expect once you take it and you’ll know when to stop in case the effects worsen.
As spirulina is usually taken for its many benefits, you should also be wary of some possible side effects and take precaution especially with the dosage and possible complications with other drugs. Most of all, you should be aware of those who are not allowed to take it due to certain medical conditions.
Here’s a list of some side effects of spirulina.
1. Extreme thirst – One of the common complaints of those who have taken spirulina is that they usually feel extremely thirsty after taking it. The extent of this feeling varies for each individual but generally, you will experience feeling thirsty all the time if you are taking spirulina regularly.
2. Constipation – There were also those who experienced constipation after taking spirulina. They had difficulties with their bowel movements. It is recommended to take foods high in fiber and take in a lot of fluids when taking spirulina to avoid this side effect.
3. Stomachache – There are those whose bodies react quite differently with spirulina, especially when it comes to their digestive system. Some people have reported experiencing stomachaches. The pain ranges from moderate to extreme. However, be warned if you are one of those who have developed gastrointestinal orders — if you have a weak digestive system, it is advisable to ask your doctor before taking spirulina.
4. Skin rashes – There are some who have some kind of allergic reaction to spirulina. Some experienced skin itching but there were also those who developed rashes. If these occur, consult your doctor immediately to find out if it was indeed caused by spirulina and if you can still continue taking it.
5. Dizziness and nausea – Some people have experienced feeling light-headed or dizzy after taking spirulina.
6. Kidney and liver problems – A handful of extreme cases were reported wherein spirulina caused kidney and liver problems to users.
7. Nosebleed – Those who have low blood counts usually experience nosebleeds after taking spirulina. So if you have this problem or you used to have nosebleeds frequently, it is best to consult your doctor before you take the supplement.
8. Weight gain – Generally, those who take spirulina will gain a few pounds. This is mainly due to the accumulation of water in the body.
So far, there hasn’t been any reported case of spirulina overdose. Since it is a supplement, taking in a lot would generally have no adverse effect. However, you should still avoid taking too much of it. Follow the indications on the label or ask your doctor about it.
new products to market
super food for health
super foods for fat loss
diet & nutrition
healthy food facts nutrition
list of superfood
superfood diet weight loss
superfoods and benefits
3 super foods
super food for heart health
super green food powder
10 superfoods for better health
top 10 superfoods for men
superfoods lose weight
nutrition and vitamins
vitamins and nutritional supplements
14 superfoods list
superfoods for women
foods for vitamin d
best superfoods list
natural source of vitamin c
superfood meal plan
number one superfood